Get to know Greg Buchheister, owner/founder of Coffeebar and barista extraordinaire, in this personal and entertaining barista questionnaire. Have more questions for Greg? Ask away in our comment section below.
- How did you end up in Truckee and what do you love most about our community? I had been in Colorado my whole life and it was time for a change. A really cool experience in India guided me in this direction. Once I breathed the air on a cool spring morning, I knew I was home! I love it that Truckee is a real community, not a just a layer of sweet cream with a luke warm underbelly, like some other places I know. 🙂
- Why do you love coffee? I love the ritual behind coffee.It starts with the smell of the grinds, the weight of the portafilter handle in my hand. It intensifies with brown espresso glooping into my 6 oz white porcelain cup. My stretching milk hits that perfect pitch. Perfect silky white goodness pours into my cup and a shake or two produces an apple balanced atop the drink. The mouth watering anticipation of my first cappuccino of the day… is almost complete… the perfect start to every day.
- What do you like most about being a barista? I like that I can be so present… living life 25 seconds at a time… very Buddha-esque!
- When I’m not making delicious coffee drinks, you can find me… In my Harry Potter closet…aka… my office, and when I’m not there, I’m in San Francisco or a foreign country!
- What is your favorite city and why? I love San Francisco. Great food, great culture, great diversity with the ocean and wine country in close proximity. Can’t beat it!
- What is your favorite utensil? My favorite utensil is my hand made pasta maker. Nothing beats a fresh bowl of pasta!
- If you walked in on your wife/husband with another man/woman what would you do? I think the song ‘Hey Joe’ sums it up…
- What is your favorite coffee drink? A perfectly balanced Italian-style cappuccino
- What’s in your picnic basket? Bottle of red wine, link of truffle sausage, fresh baguette, a triangle of gouda and of course several chocolate bars all accompanied by my lovely lady friend, Nora, Chancho and Rumi.
- What’s at the top of your travel bucket list? Iceland. Or Thailand. Or both!
- If you had $1 million to do anything with, what would you do/how would you spend it? Travel, fun, charity … in that order.
- What is one thing you are extremely proud of? Besides Coffeebar, I’m proud of the fact that I can finally appreciate what I have!
- I’d really love to learn how to… play a ripping blues guitar and fly.
- If I had to choose between the following for a pet — dragon, alligator, monkey, eagle or rat — I would pick: Dragon
- I couldn’t live without… being creative.
- I consider myself really good at… making other people feel good.
- My idea of a perfect day is… Cappuccino, cinnamon roll, fresh OJ; quick ride to mountain; endless pow runs; quick snack including at least, but not limited to, one Stella Artois; more endless pow; nap; fresh Pasta Bolognese with at least eight friends, with at least one bottle of wine per person; gelato!
- From your perspective, what makes Coffeebar special? Our secret ingredient…. LOVE.